Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Honoring motherhood

Well, we all know that Mother's Day was just a few short days ago. With a wide range of ideas for how to honor mothers, I'm sure we've seen just about everything. From high priced florals, fine jewelery, audacious have-to-have handbags to the latest and greatest iPod accessory...there always seems to be an unnecessary amount of retail induced pressure of this purchase (especially on our husbands!).

For me, the day is just a little taste of what you hope is going on in the hearts and minds of my children, manifested in a bit of pampering (tea and cinnamon rolls in bed) and homemade pieces of art. I really, really love the sparkling eyes and ear-to-ear grin from a child who is totally proud of what they created just for you!!

For my mom and I, the holiday serves as a reminder for us to schedule time together that week...no hubbies, kids or distractions! The day itself provides an opportunity for me to show my mom how special she is to me and my family. I usually make a card - no Hallmark necessary! Expressing myself through the written word is what other artists do through music, or painting. I get to hit the "pause" button and pull the thoughts from my heart into a written form I can share. It's the most creative part of me that I know. Now, I'm not saying the illustration is a hit...thank goodness for stamps and stickers!

My mom has transformed from not only being my mother, but my best friend. She is always there for me, and for us. No matter what the need might be...cooking, watching the girls, picking up something from the store, doing little things around our house when I'm not looking, or picking up coffee and chatting about a difficult situation. I've decided that it is the culmination of all the little things that she has done for us through the years that makes her the glue of our family.

From time to time she has compared herself to other mothers thinking she didn't do enough, achieve enough or earn a paycheck or title that was more respectable in her mind. I remind her that she is and always will be a rebel. A rebel that has not let time, people, selfishness or things get in between her and her brood. And THAT is a life lesson on motherhood that will carry through for lifetimes to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment