Thursday, June 24, 2010

Funny Fridays

I've gotten some great ideas from my fellow mothers...and this one is a goodie. Every Friday will be dedicated to a funny story or quote about the family or my own mommy blunders...welcome to Funny Fridays!

I realize that it is a day early - I just have to share this one:

One evening last summer, we all went on a walk in the neighborhood. I pulled our two youngest (ages 2 & 4) in a wagon, and Bryce rode his bike alongside our 7 year old. There was a thunderstorm on the way, but we thought we could sneak in a quick walk before heading in for bedtime.

We made it up the block and around the corner when pretty large raindrops started to fall and thunder began rumbling. We darted up the driveway of a friend's home, jumped off of bikes, out of the wagon, and ran up to the covered front porch.

We knocked on the front door and soon discovered that no one was home. Uh-oh! The storm was really starting to brew, the thunder was getting louder and the lightening was getting brighter. Bryce told us to stay put and that he'd dart back to the house, pick up our truck and bring us home. The storm was definitely gonna be here for a while.

As soon as Bryce raced off on his bike, a HUGE lightening strike followed by a HUMONGOUS clap of thunder overwhelmed us on the porch. The girls swarmed to my legs and screamed at the top of their lungs in fear. It was crazy! I kept thinking of my husband on his bike, surely struck by lightening by now. NOT a good idea - chivalrous, yes, but not the smartest choice I've seen him make.

As my head filled with worry and the girls grip on my legs tightened, Ava (4) shares this thought:

"WHOA, that angel must have used a HUGE bowling ball, mamma!"

We all started laughing hysterically - even at a young age she has never really been at a loss for words, and this observation was hilarious. At that moment, Bryce drove up to pile us into the truck - all soaking wet from head to toe from the driving rain. We shared Ava's observation with Daddy and he definitely lost a few calories from the big laugh we all shared.

We've told this story to many friends and family and it's just a keeper! This one hit the family journal without much delay.

I know you have a funny story or quote to share...let's hear it. POST A COMMENT! Happy Friday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment